e-Stewards Certification is a leading global program designed to ensure proper handling and disposal of old electronic equipment. The e-Stewards logo allows individuals and organizations the ability to identify recyclers that adhere to the highest standard of environmental responsibility and worker protection. e-Stewards Certification is open to electronics recyclers, refurbishers and processors. The intent of the standard is to provide a rigorous set of criteria to prevent irresponsible or illegal handling of hazardous waste and/or e-waste streams, while promoting data security, social responsibility, and environmental protection.
The e-Stewards Standard Version 4.0 was published on February 25, 2020. After January 1, 2021, all audits shall be conducted to Version 4.0. Version 3.1 certifications will expire August 24, 2021. In order to avoid lapse in certification, all certified recyclers should complete a transition audit by June 1, 2021.
A few of the key components of e-Stewards include:
- Prohibition of disposal of toxic wastes from electronic equipment in solid waste landfills and incinerators
- Requirements for compliance with international hazardous waste treaties for exports and imports of electronics, and specifically prohibits the export of hazardous waste from developed to developing countries
- Prohibition the use of prison labor in the recycling of toxic wastes from electronics, which often have sensitive data embedded
- Requirements for baseline protections for, and monitoring of, recycling workers in every country, including developed nations where toxic exposures are routinely taking place
- International applicability
The standard was developed by leaders in the e-waste industry with the intent that the standard could be implemented by all types and sizes of companies. The standard requires a separate ISO 14001 certification, but also incorporates significant components of Occupational, Health and Safety, data sanitization, social accountability and other BAN requirements. Regardless of a company’s size and the type of e-waste processing conducted on-site, the e-Stewards certification program provides a high level of confidence that a recycler consistently conforms to the e-Stewards Standard.
Certification to e-Stewards will provide your company with many benefits, such as:
- Positioning yourself for federal contracts since the federal government now requires all federal facilities to recycle their e-waste with a certified e-Stewards or R2 recycler.
- Demonstrating to customers that your company is in compliance with domestic and international laws.
- Instilling public confidence through certified third-party review.
- Helping protect against environmental and human health impacts from improper recycling.
- Promoting safe and effective recovery and reuse of equipment to those who need them.
- Helping reduce mining and processing of virgin materials, which will reduce environmental impact by conserving our limited natural resources.
Be a leader in the e-waste industry and get certified to e-Stewards. For more information on e-Stewards or to receive a quote for certification please contact us at 9180-41468875 or via email at email@example.com for a Project Manager in your area.
Useful Links for e-Stewards:
- What is E-Stewards Certification?
- ISRI releases video touting benefits of e-scrap recycling
- Basel Action Network
- e-Stewards has released the Sanctioned Interpretation for V 2.0 e-Stewards